Thursday 5 March 2009

Break in Transmission

Well next week I am going on an UK holiday. Nothing to do with the credit crunch, but a tradition of which this is the 5th year. Every year a group of between 10-14 of our friends pick a part of the country, find a nice house to rent (try English Country Cottages if you fancy it. The house we are renting takes 16, has its own outdoor heated pool, towels, linen, leccy all paid for and its costing us £58 each for a week), and then spend one week drinking, eating, going for walks, playing on the wii and sing star. The first two years we went to the Lake District, the third year was Northumberland, last year Norfolk and this year we are off to North Devon.

Ive never been that far down the country, and I am really looking forward to it. There are 12 of us this year and I'm in charge of the shopping. Ive done it every year and I love it. Making lists is one of my hobbies, so I thrive! We have a budget of £23 per person for 4 evening meals, 4 lunches, 3 normal breakfasts and 1 full English. Doesn't sound a lot but we manage to eat well. This years menu is as follows

Monday - Shepherds pie, carrots, broccoli and peas (cooked by me and J)
Tuesday - Chilli with rice, sour cream and tortilla chips (cooked by hubby and his friend from work)
Wednesday - Fish Bake with new potatoes (cooked by J and J)
Thursday - Sausage and Pesto Pasta Bake with crusty bread and salad (cooked by G with T&R assisting)

A few of us will muck in with the full English and the rest of the time its just get what you want from the fridge/cupboards whenever you need it. We take our own alcohol, of which there is a lot! Lunches are usually sandwiches to talk out with us, or if we are staying in due to the bad weather then 9p noodles, crumpets with cheese or quiche.

Ive also asked the very nice people of the BBC food boards for ideas on nice pubs in case we want to eat out during the day, or stop off for a well earned pint on the way back from a walk, so thank you to all who replied.

I will try and take piccies if I can, showcasing not only mine but my esteemed co-holidayers culinary skills. Ive also got a post for Frikadeller that I need to put that up when I get back.

Ta ta for now

1 comment:

  1. I think the weather is goodly for you this week.
    See you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete