Monday 16 February 2009

Kashmiri Butter Chicken

Well I kept to my promise and made the first thing from the Slow Cooker book I blogged about earlier. However it sort of happened by accident! Hubby said he was going to do it and therefore it had to be done ASAP. We had spent the weekend in Newcastle visiting friends and arrived home at about 1:20.....which funnily enough was just in time for the football. Weird how that happens isn't it?! Anyway we went from hubby wanting to make this, to hubby wanting to watch the football and jodgirls being forced to make it instead. Not that I had a massive problem with that. I love nothing better to potter whilst he is watching the footie. I stick Heart FM on really loud and just get on with it.



So off I went.




Kashmiri Butter Chicken
(Ultimate Slow Cooker - Sara Lewis)

2 onions
3 garlic cloves
4cm of root ginger, peeled
1 large red chilli, halved and seeds discarded
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tbs sunflower oil
25g of butter
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
4 cardamom pods, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground tumeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
300ml chicken stock
1 tbs of light muscavado sugar
2 tbs of tomato puree
5 tbs of double cream
pinch of salt

to garnish
2 tbs of flaked almonds
sprigs of coriander



1) Blend the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli in a food processor
2) Cut each chicken thigh into 4 pieces. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add chicken until all the meat is evenly browned. Lift pieces out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate
3) Add butter to the pan and when it has melted add the onion paste. Cook until just beginning to colour. Stir in all the crushed seeds and spices. Cook for 1 minutes and then add the stock, sugar, tomato puree and salt. Bring to the boil
4) Transfer chicken to slow cooker, pour onion mixture over the top and make sure the chicken is pressed below the surface. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours.
6) To serve, stir in the cream and garnish with almonds and corriander.


N.B I halved this and only made it for two, and there wasn't an awful lot in the slow cooker, so it cooked quite a bit quicker than suggested. In the future I would make the full quantity and freeze before adding the cream. Speaking of cream, I dont think it really needs it. I used less than half the amount of Alpro Soya cream, and to be honest I preffered the taste beforehand, but this could be beacuse it was soya cream. The picture was taken before the cream was added, and we served it with plain boiled brown rice.



6 comments:

  1. mmm you have given me an idea for friday night! was thinking of doing a curry and slow cooking would be ideal, I have all those spices in cupboard anyway just need the chook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to just wing it with slow cookers.
    There's obviously a lot more I can do with it. That's a lovely looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys - as I said you can do it with or without the cream, and I suppose without its quite healthy (not thinking about the butter!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is at home, in the slow cooker! smelt lovely this morning! I only had 4 thighs too so have scaled recipe down slightly

    Just to note, you mention addition of salt but its not on ingredients list..(also whispering it says pasta instead of paste, threw me slightly last night prepping, lol! ;-))

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgive me!!! Ill go do some editing now!

    If it turns out poo you can blame me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly a fine approach to express and looking an exceptionally charming article with loaded with solid data. I am unquestionably going to enlighten in my class concerning this stage and the data shared here. Extremely elegantly composed. Japanese restaurant in St Paul

    ReplyDelete