Wednesday 15 April 2009

Good Friday Fish Day


Ok so I am not religious in the slightest, however I still do the old fish on Good Friday thing. Don't know why, I think its something my parents always did even though they aren't religious either!


We did cheat slightly by having left over pulled pork in pittas for lunch, but I am sure being frugal lets you off.


Anyway, I am a big smoked salmon fan. Hubby not so fussed, but will eat it and does claim to enjoy it every now and again. Those packs of value smoked salmon trimmings are really quite good when you are working to a budget and we often have a pack in the freezer.


We were off to the pub later on Friday night and as it was my turn to drive I thought I'd better line hubby's stomach with pasta. He is a PROPER beer drinker and we go to what is probably one of the most run down little pubs in our home town. From the outside the paint is crumbling, and the inside is filled with old men huddled round little tables, and there is a stroppy old bar woman who once shouted at us to "not f~%k with the fire". The beer is therefore the only reason we go there. Hubby and his mates usually work from left to right across the hand pumps, so it can turn quite messy!



Smoked Salmon Vodka Pasta (serves 2)
1 onion
half a pot of Alpro soya cream (or Elmlea for you normal peeps)
half a bag of washed spinach
50ml vodka
half table spoon of tomato puree
1 packet of smoked salmon trimmings
100g of pasta per person
pepper


1) Put pasta on to boil
2) For the sauce start by sweating the onion in a little oil until translucent. Add the tomato puree and cook out on low for 5 minutes (may need a splash of water)
3) Add the vodka and reduce
4) Add the spinach, and soya cream and heat until the spinach is wilted.
5) Add in the salmon and season with black pepper.
6) Drain the pasta and return to the pan. Pour the sauce over the pasta, stir through to coat and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo.
    One of my all time favourite things to do with pasta - put vodka in it.

    You're local boozer sounds OK. At least it's got a fire - can't stand cold pubs me.

    ReplyDelete